WASHINGTON (ABC7) — Councilman Trayon White expressed outrage on Thursday night, hours after a Ballou Senior High School student was shot on Fourth Street in Southeast D.C.
“A young man 17-years-old shot, walking home from school; if he can’t walk home from school safe, then what are we doing?” said White.
“There was some type of argument that took place that ultimately resulted in the shooting,” said Patrol Chief Robert Contee.
“When our students can’t feel safe coming back and forth to school, who can feel safe?’ said school board member Markus Batchelor.
Batchelor says he is seeing more and more shootings near schools in Southeast D.C.
“Just within the last three week, or about two weeks, there has been three daytime shootings within a block of Hendley Elementary School,” said Batchelor.
According to the city’s crime map, assaults with dangerous weapons are up this year within 500 feet of Hendley Elementary School on Chesapeake Street in Southeast D.C.
As a result, the city has added extra officers around the school.
“We expect our children to be able to go to school and get home from school safely,” said Mayor Muriel Bowser.
So far, no arrests have been made in connection to the latest shooting.
Police have a vague description of the suspect’s vehicle, which is a black car with at least 2 men inside.