Representative Markus E. Batchelor, a member of the DC State Board of Education is seeking a Fall 2017 Fellow. He was sworn in on January 2, 2017 as the youngest-ever elected member of the State Board of Education, where he represents 43 school communities and nearly 80,000 residents in Ward 8.
The State Board of Education is responsible for advising the State Superintendent of Education on educational matters, including: state standards; state policies, including those governing special, academic, vocational, charter and other schools; state objectives; and state regulations proposed by the Mayor or the State Superintendent of Education.
Our Fall 2017 Fellow will assist with a wide variety of administrative tasks that include:
- Staffing or representing the representative at meetings, community events and other events.
- Assisting in the management of constituent services.
- Coordinating and assisting in maintaining the representative's meeting schedule and events calendar.
- Attending meetings, hearings and briefings to remain informed about current issues.
- Planning special projects and assisting in planning events.
- Completing research as needed and report findings to the representative.
Desired Qualities / Experience:
Potential fellows should:
- Have an interest in or passion for public service.
- Have an interest in or passion for K-12 education and education policy.
- Have an interest in or passion for community organization and grassroots engagement.
- Be be able to multitask and work independently with limited supervision. Attention to detail.
- Have strong oral and written communications skills, and be able to work effectively and build relationships with others.
- Have good organization and planning skills, and be able to demonstrate effective project coordination, facilitation, and implementation based on past work or school experiences.
- Be willing to travel within the local area and work flexible hours. In other words, this position requires travel connected with official duties, including attendance at night and weekend meetings and events. Having a car and driver's license is a plus, but not required.
Flexible. Preferably a commitment of 15-20 hours per week for 8-10 weeks.
This position is an unpaid internship
Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Fall 2017 Fellowship".